Saturday, May 29, 2010

The Evolution of Technology.

-->
The Evolution of Technology 

Last night I went to see the new Robin Hood film (not highly recommended) and there are a few battle scenes that made me think about how brutal it was going to war back then. This led me to think about the evolution of technology and how it has revolutionized our lives; not just at home but also at school, work and even in war.

The new tale of Robin Hood is supposed to be an explanation of how Robin Hood became an outlaw. The storyline is based on the tale of a traitor who plots with the King of France to overthrow the king of England. From across the channel they managed to come up with a plan with several trips to and from France and the use of several carrier pigeons.

Trust me

Back in the day you had to rely on people and trust them. If you were planning a war, you had to have faith that if you had arranged something, they would keep their word.

I used to meet my friends at morning on a Sunday near the main sports ground of the Ordnance Estate Ambernath. If they were late, you just had to wait. Nowadays you ring them and re-arrange to meet somewhere else a bit later. Is our reliance on technology making us unreliable people? Are we becoming too dependent on technology?

I would say yes and no. Yes because if I didn’t have internet access I would feel like I was living in the dark ages, which is a little bit excessive and no because of the convenience and countless advantages it brings.

A trip down memory lane

When I was really young I got my first computer, a Compaq, which I adored! I spent ages playing the old-skool adventure games, where you have to manually type turn left, open the door, carriage return etc., and then there was our sweet old Mario. I will never forget the day we added an extra 4 MB of memory to it! A whole 4 MB!! We really thought we’d entered the 21st century! Now we carry our laptops everywhere and technology has made our lives so much more convenient.

Meet in the middle

As with everything you have to find a happy medium. I find it highly rude and annoying that people are tapping away on their crackberry on the train and bus or even while you’re having a conversation! Not only that, everything has become more temporary. Instead of a love letter, we now get a text; instead of a photo lovingly developed and kept in a frame, we just have a file that could easily be lost or deleted – along with the memory.

On the other hand you can now avoid the Saturday rush at the shops by ordering online, keep in contact with friends living abroad, share files instead of using snail mail and even search for a weekend date! We really have come a long, long way since my lovingly Compaq days!

Why not share your memories of the good old days as well, or write your own IT blog!



Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home